Friday, May 13, 2011

Tricky Tools

For as long as I can remember I've loved straight hair. Having naturally wavy hair, my hair has become well acquainted with the flat iron. Thankfully hair tool companies have created ceramic plated straighteners and curling irons to help protect your hair from damage caused from the extreme heat! I've recently become  a fan of curling my hair as well. I usually stick with a 1.5" curling iron because I like looser waves. Below I've listed some of the hair styling tools I use, as well as a video of one of my fashion inspirations Lauren Conrad. She recently launched a beauty website called The Beauty Department and she provides makeup tutorials as well as hair tutorial. In the video, Lauren teaches you how to perfect the "everyday wave." What styling tools are your trusted favorites? Let me know!

Flat Irons:



Remington Wet 2 Straight Flat Iron $26.99 2" (Sears)

I've been using this flat iron for about 8 years now! I did have to replace the original after about 3 years due to a wear spot on the plate, but since then they've improved their design and I'm still using the replacement one today! Using this iron, I've found that it's best to let your hair dry somewhat before you use it. You can use it right after you've washed your hair but it takes longer to straighten and tends to make your strands frizzy. But I definitely love this straightener! Since I've purchased it, they've changed the model of the 2" iron. But they do still sell this model in the 1" iron. I give this a 4.5/5


Remington T Studio Digital Straightener S8800 $49.99 (Walgreens)

Though this straightener's plate is thinner, I find that I prefer this one to the first one I reviewed. You can't technically use this on wet hair, but if your strands are about 85% dry, it works just fine. I feel like this iron gives me more control, is easier to hold (small hands!), and has a better grip than the other one. Like the first product I mentioned, it has the safety feature of turning off after an extended amount of time, in case you were in a hurry and forgot to unplug the device on the way out the door! Plus its sleek and thin shape make for easy storage! I'd give this iron a 5/5

Curling Irons:


Infiniti by Conair Ceramic Curling Iron 1.5" $29.99 (Conair)

This is definitely my favorite curling iron! It's easy to manage and gives enough heat that you don't have to use the clamp if you don't want to. I like bigger waves so after I curl my hair with the iron, I either run a brush through them or I finger comb to separate the sections creating beachy looking waves. I'm looking to purchase a 2" barrel curling iron to see if it'll further give me the look that I'm striving for! The one thing that does bother me about this tool is the cord. It twists and gets tangled very easily so sometimes it makes curling my hair difficult having to constantly untangle the mess. This curling iron gets a 4.5/5


Infiniti by Conair Ceramic Curling Iron 1" $28.99 (Conair)

My mom recently purchased this one for herself and I though I'd give it a test run! It works very well if you are looking for tighter and more crisp curls. Definitely good for a special event or party. However since I do like bigger curls, I don't quite love this one as much as the other. It would probably be a good iron for those with thinner hair as well because it really holds the curl in. I have thicker hair so using a smaller barrel tends to take me longer since I can't wrap as much hair around  it. But definitely gets the job done. Again like the first curling iron, the cord gets tangled easily! I give this a  4/5

Learn how to make waves like Lauren!


Check out her beauty website:

Inspired? Look for these items here:

2 comments: